Vernon Historic District
(added 1976 - - #76000024)
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architectural Style: Federal, Mid 19th Century Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824
is a town in Vernon Township, Jennings County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 318. As the county seat of Jennings County, it is the smallest town with that designation in the state of Indiana. It is nearly surrounded by the Muscatatuck River. Vernon has the only elected mayor of a town in the state of Indiana and the only elected town marshal. Dan Wright
is Mayor and Britt Burgmeier
is the Marshal.
The town is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the host of many firsts in the state.
- The first area set aside for use as a public playground in Indiana, The Commons, is located in Vernon.
- The first elevated railroad overpass west of the Alleghenies.
- The state's first all women's jury.
- The first Disciples of Christ church in Indiana.
It was also the home of Indiana's fourth state park, now called Muscatatuck County Park.